Homemade Fish & Chips
- 2 medium potatoes (you can also use sweet potatoes)
- 2 boneless cod fillets
- 95g self-raising flour (for gluten free use GF plain flour and ½ tsp bicarbonate of soda)
- 1 egg
- 75ml chilled sparkling water
- 150g frozen peas
- 1 tbsp crème fraiche (for dairy free use coconut yogurt)
- 1 tsp finely chopped mint leaves
- 150g broccoli
- 4tbsp olive oil
- ½ a lemon
- Salt and pepper to season
- Preheat the oven to 220°C/200°C Fan/Gas 7.
- Cut the potatoes into thick chips approximately 1.4cm in width.
- Parboil the potato chips for 5 minutes then transfer into a baking dish. Pour over 1 tbsp olive oil and season with salt and pepper then toss the chips until coasted in the oil.
- Place in the oven for 20 minutes or until golden brown. Turn once or twice during this time to ensure even cooking.
- Now prepare the fish. Crack the egg into a bowl and beat until the white and yolk are mixed. Place 20g of the flour into one bowl and set aside. Place the remaining 75g of flour into a separate bowl and season with salt and pepper (add bicarbonate of soda now if using GF flour). Gradually add the water to the flour stirring constantly to ensure no lumps form. Keep adding the water until the flour and water form a thick batter.
- Dip the fish into the flour and coat, then dip into the beaten egg coating fully, then place into the batter and ensure fully covered in the mixture.
- Place the remaining olive oil in a non-stick frying pan and heat. Add the batter coated fish and cook on one side for approximately 3-5 mins until the batter has turned light golden-brown then flip over and cook on the other side. Once cooked set aside on baking parchment and keep warm whilst you finish preparing the vegetables.
- In a small pan boil some water and add the peas cooking for 3-5 mins until cooked. Steam the broccoli over the peas as they are cooking in a steaming pan or a metal colander with a lid.
- Drain the peas and return them to the pan, add the crème fraiche (or coconut yoghurt) and mint, then mash until the peas split. Season with salt and pepper
- Remove the chips from the oven and serve with the fish, peas and broccoli, with a slice of lemon on the side.
I love seeing your creations so if you make this please upload an image to social media and tag me in it and #clemmiemacphersonnutrition. Thank you and happy cooking!